Raiding - A short week but still made progress

We were really short of healers on Thursday so we just called raid which I don't mind because it means mythic plus time.

Sunday raid went well with Moisty's first time tanking it. He had been fishing all weekend and arrived back in time for raid and still managed to keep going and tank everything except Gul'dan. Obviously a bit rusty his first time with some early taunts but I think he'll get along nicely for the weekend. Kjersten is my next project for tanking and Splatz can do that so HK can have a break from tanking and do something else, if that's what he wants to do. It was also the first time I said alts can come to raid and with alts in raid, the looting system defaults to AMR. Many people were hesitant about it, but that's what I have said we were going to do and it has worked well in the past for looting. Obviously this time I paid a bit more attention to loot than I did previously - I often did not notice titanforged or socketed gear but I made a bigger effort to look this time. People were also concerned that I did the looting based  upon the "upgrade" system that AMR shows, but I actually don't even look at that. What I do look at is who hit need, who has looted already, and who is a main vs an alt, whether the item is a high end coveted item (eg trinkets and tier). There was also another reason and that was that loot sharing can sometimes be a bit funny - as in people NOT sharing out loot, or handing over BoEs.

I'm well aware there are ways of getting out of stuff. BoEs are a classic example - if you don't pick it up in the raid, then it goes to your mailbox and then you can technically keep it for yourself. BoEs are supposed to be handed over to guild to fund repairs and I will use it to buy pots and flasks for the guild bank once we hit the magic 2 million gold mark. I worry that if I introduce it too early then when the BoE gold haul dries up, then trying to get people to contribute flasks again is a real pain in the ass. The same goes for personal loot. THe temptation to hand over an item to a friend rather than to the rest of the guild is a real one, and I am sure there are many loots that are passed over that way. Also, chanters will keep the shards as well rather than hand it over - I know I do but i do a lot of guild enchants and I spend ages farming epics in dungeons to keep my supply up. In reality, I can't do anything about it, so I just turn a blind eye to it, even though there are indignant voices saying "you should clamp down on it blah blah" but why, other than to make people angry? Let them think they can get away with it for a little while and people feel happy about it for a while? However, once I do AMR then I can control all loot and distribute it out evenly and openly, and I also can keep the shards to do all the enchants. I put out a ton of enchants each week! To keep up I need at least 50 chaos crystals a week and it's good that we get some from raid to do chants, and that people who regularly get chants from me send me greens to DE as well as cloth for making Leylight shards.

Fortunately, though there have been mutterings of complaint, there isn't enough of an issue for people to have to come up to me at the end of the raid and say "We think this is bad because of x and y." However, since we have been doing it that way for 2 or 3 tiers now, you would think people would get used to it.

Anyway, we cleared Gul'dan, lots of people got loot, but I probably had less to DE overall, partly because we had alts picking up gear, but also I think we had less loot than we do on personal.

Monday rolled around and I relaxed the raid size restrictions because Erve and Crooked could heal and now that we had the mechanics for Elisande better sorted it was easier to have everyone doing their jobs. So raid size of 24 with 5 healers was comfortable and we got Elisande and then started working on Gul'dan.

I am a total nitwit with Gul'dan. Firstly, I'm so busy trying to follow melee around that I am not healing enough or healing properly. Secondly I put my bubble down and then I do dumb stuff like MOVE! And that's even if I remember to do the bubble in the first place because I often do it too early or too late and I am just... STUPID. I needed a butt ton of warm up trying to get myself sorted out, and I think by the end of the night I got it sorted out.

We made good progress throughout the night and at least got to phase 3 so maybe by next week we can clean it up even more, especially when we only had 2 raid nights this week.

Some awesome 920+ trinkets went out to Jassa, Gen and Aza. Hopefully the extra output will help with raid next week!

Comments

  1. We don't use AMR, we use Rclootcouncil and like you, have done so for many years. We also found that long term members of the raid team still questioned our loot distribution choices and so we decided to make an informative guild loot video. It really helped clear things up & is a good 'go to point' for new members too. Here is a link to ours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb-9hLzZoWs

    Seems the more 'visual' approach is what did the trick.

    Also great work on Guldan, am glad to see that I am not the only numpty/nitwit when it comes to him too :D

    ~Foreva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for the video link! I may have to consider that - if I thought anyone would watch it.

      With all this 7.2 talk around I want to get Gul'dan down before it goes live!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I hope these comments work! Not sure why people can't comment lately, it makes me sad :(