Filling in the gaps in my knowledge with Christie Golden's War Crimes

Amateur Azerothian recommended that I read War Crimes, and I had been waiting for a cheaper price somewhere so I could read it.  In the end, I found it on google books, and I know it wasn't there when I was originally looking for it, so I'm pleased it made it there and it was much cheaper than buying it from the Book Depository.


If you're going to read this book then don't read what I'm going to write!

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

I was skeptical about reading about Garrosh and a trial.  Now I personally am against the death penalty, but I know that there are a lot of people out there who are for the death penalty.  Not sure if I really wanted to read about mobs crazy for Garrosh's blood.

However, the stand out moments were in High Cheftain Baine Bloodhoof.  He is after all, my racial leader. Chosen to defend Garrosh in the Pandaren court, I don't think anyone envied him - in fact they probably despised him for it, for it was an impressive burden, and he did it to the best of his ability.  And I think that is the crux of the matter! Even though inside he probably believed that Garrosh should die for his crimes, and he was loathe to do the task set before him, he did it to the best of his ability, because it was the HONOURABLE thing to do.  I found that no different to me treating the injuries of a mass murderer - even though I would be reluctant to be caring for or helping them, it is my duty to deliver an excellent standard of care, no matter what a person's background.  I am not the judge, nor jury, nor executioner, and though I may wish otherwise, I have to put my personal feelings aside and attend to the task at hand.

When I thought back on it, I realised that there were a LOT of females in the story!  Though I hadn't really noticed it, it was reallly good to see features on other characters who seemed to have disappeared from the storyline - Shokia, whom we quested with throughout Jade forest and into The Valley of the four Winds and Krasarang; and also Warlord Zaela, of the Dragonmaw who escaped after the fight with Galakras.

There was a lot of delving into the past to see the crimes that Garrosh committed, and it was good to read those things.  Golden does a great job with her writing and her interpretation of the characters leaves little the imagination.  Sylvanas is so bitter and cold and angry, and Jaina herself was also very angry, though understandably so.  Vereesa too was filled with rage and I felt sorry for her children as they seemed to be cast to the wayside as Vereesa burned with thoughts of revenge. Looking at Sylvanas in this light makes me feel like we will have to kill her off one day.  I wish we could kill some alliance for a change.  I still mourn Nazgrim!

Hope.  Chi-ji reminded us all that hope is a powerful entity.  With hope, there is the chance for great things to happen, for people to change, a chance for success.  Essentially Garrosh was not executed because a dead person cannot change, or be given the chance to change. For there is always the hope that someone may change and bring about something positive in the world. And we cannot hope if we give in to hate and rage and despair.

So, Garrosh is allowed to live, but of course, he spurns his choice for repentance, and disappears into the past with a member of the infinite dragonflight disguised as a bronze. I hope in 6.0 or in the quest line in WoD we find out why that time was chosen...and what does it mean when Garrosh from our time meets up with his infant self?  Would a universe-ending paradox would ensue?


Well it didn't went Ambassador Spock met Commander Spock.  So I don't think it will happen in this new timeline either....

Comments

  1. Blizz recently posted a short story entitled "Hellscream" which addresses the babbee Garosh question. I won't spoil it for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. You guys could at least have linked it for me. Now I have to go looking.

      Delete
    2. Aha! Here it is!
      http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/lore/savage-world/hellscream/page-1

      Delete
    3. Here's a link, Navi: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/lore/savage-world/hellscream/page-1

      Hope that helps!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I hope these comments work! Not sure why people can't comment lately, it makes me sad :(