Non WoW: That feeling when you realise you're WRONG


I have lots of moments like that.  And I'm not just talking about that time when I was doing Ultraxion in Dragon Soul and I had to do it in kitty and Fue wondered why my damage was so low, and when he looked at what I was doing, I was using Claw - which was something I used when I was 60 but hadn't really done any kitty since then, and of course everyone laughed at me for being so behind the times when it comes to kitty.


More recently, there's the time when I went to watch the Lego Movie, and in the movie, they said this:

The Man Upstairs: You know the rules, this isn't a toy!
Finn: Um... it kind of is.
The Man Upstairs: No, actually it's a highly sophisticated inter-locking brick system.
Finn: But we bought it at the toy store.
The Man Upstairs: We did, but the way I'm using it makes it an adult thing.
Finn: The box for this one said "Ages 8 to 14"!
The Man Upstairs: That's a suggestion. They have to put that on there.

And I realised that I WAS THE MAN UPSTAIRS.  I WAS PRESIDENT BUSINESS.  I was the villain in the movie - who is always saying "Don't touch Mummy's Lego" or "This Lego is from Grown ups and not for playing with."  And what was really embarrassing was everyone at work who saw the Lego movie said that when they saw the Man Upstairs, that instantly they thought of me.  That I was the big meanie who wont' let my kids play with things that are supposed to be toys.  I'll admit, after that movie I did change - I let my kids play with mummy's Lego and I try really hard not to cringe every time a piece goes missing.



Here's my latest example.  My sister is pregnant and I have a cot that can convert into a single bed.  We had the cot as single bed in our spare room but I was delighted that she could use our old cot.  I dismantled the bed into pieces, found some more spare parts of the bed in the cupboard and gave it to her.  Then her husband told her there were some pieces missing.  I have no idea why, but I shook my head in disbelief.

"Did you LOOK in the bag?" I said.  I had put all the bits and bots into a plastic bag that accompanied the bed.
"He did," replied my sister. "There are some railing things for the cot side missing and two planks and some brackets for the bottom.  I did vaguely remember the brackets and I hadn't seen them, but I was still sure I had given her everything.  I told my husband to go look for the stuff and he told me he looked everywhere and couldn't find anything.

Even my mother was scolding them for not looking properly. With a big sigh, I said I would go look at the cot, thinking to myself that they had domestic blindness.  So I went over and had a look and there WERE pieces missing.  Lots of them!  So knowing what was missing, I went home and looked in the cupboard where I had found the spare parts and emptied it, thinking it must be there somewhere.  Hmm.  Not in the cupboard.  So I climbed on a chair and looked into the top of the cupboard and there was a box hidden behind some bags and wall decorations - a BIG LONG box mind you - labelled "Single bed parts - keep for future use".  Well.  I took it down and looked inside and lo and behold all the pieces were in there.  So I trundled back to my sister's house sheepishly and said I found the stuff and rang my brother in law to apologise and he crowed with delight and said thank you to me for eating humble pie.  I don't even know WHY I thought they would be mistaken in the first place!

You're not listening to me...
Oh and my poor son. There are multiple instances of me being wrong when it comes to him, and I feel really guilty because I'm not sure if he understands when I am saying sorry for being wrong!  With the autism and language/speech delay, I want to try to make sure we listen to him when he's talking but sometimes I don't understand him and he gets really insistent but the more garbled talk he throws out and gets upset about, the more frustrated I get as well!

The most recent one was on the weekend.  We were sitting in my husband's car and my son asked for "Blue plane."  I had no idea what he was talking about.  "There's no blue plane in the car," I said.  "Is it a plane outside?"

"May I have Blue Plane please?" he said, gesturing around the car. I asked my daughter what he wanted. She shrugged and said "Blue plane."  I knew we had no blue plane toys.  "I can't find the blue plane," I said. "I'll find it later?"

"There there!" He said again, gesticulating wildly.  "Blue plane PLEASE PLEASE!"

When I again denied his request there were tears which were pacified by reminding him we were going to go to playground after lunch.

The next day we were in the car again and I enabled the GPS to see where we were going.  "Blue plane!" my son yelled, pointing.  And sure enough, the arrow indicating our position was blue.  And it kinda looks like a plane, or at least a paper aeroplane.


I felt so bad for my poor son who was only asking for a simple thing and got hugely frustrated because we didn't understand him.  Can't be helped, I know, but I really hate misunderstanding him because he's trying so hard to be understood and it couldn't be good for his confidence with me being so dismissive!

But that mortifying feeling of suddenly realising you're wrong - you almost want to go and hide in shame or pretend it didn't happen. I'm not talking about the little wrongs like "Oh, sorry I thought we were meeting up at 1230pm not 1pm", or "Whoops, sorry I thought your name was Fiona, not Angela."  This is more like the fundamentals of your life were shaken up - like suddenly being told the Earth was round instead of flat, or that there is no heaven/hell/afterlife, or that Santa doesn't exist (I'm a mean parent, my children have never really believed in Santa because I told them we bring the presents - Santa to them is like Dora the Explorer or Peppa Pig, something made up that is fun to imagine).  Trying to get my head around letting my children play with my precious Limited Edition Lego is a stomach sinking experience.  I just hope that nothing in Azeroth will be like that - though if I found out that all this time I've been healing wrong on my druid I might just collapse of an apoplexy.


Comments

  1. I do that all the time but it's usually with my husband. He now thinks most of my info is suspect at best, lol.

    The lego thing makes me laugh as I remember my father used to buy me radio controlled planes but I never got to fly them, he did. The one time I did I immediately crashed it so maybe he knew what he was doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your radio controlled plane flying is like Cim's Timeless Isle adventures... I could see that :P

      Delete
  2. Navi,

    I hate to be the one to tell you this, but

    You totally heal wrong as a druid.



    :-p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, at least you know what he meant now and I can imagine you with your lego.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My poor misunderstood son! And yes you know me,I'm such a meanie...

      Delete
  4. Let them enjoy the leggo, by buying some just for them. Tell them it's their special one like mommy's. That way you can remain being the man upstairs and they get to play with some cool interlocking brick system. I've played D&D for many years and I have a huge collection of painted miniatures (painted by me). But this did not stop me from letting Corael play with them when he was younger. I would cringe with the little paint chips, but I could touch it up and none would be the wiser. I even let my grandson (ilikefarts is his toon) play with them when he was younger. Let kids be kids Navi.

    Ayelena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did buy them their own stuff, but Mummy's lego is so much more pretty and cool! And I'm trying to let kids be kids... but it's hard!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I hope these comments work! Not sure why people can't comment lately, it makes me sad :(