Guildleader chores - When a guild wants to join yours
When two of your raid members say:
"Navi, can I talk to you about something after raid?"
|That sinking feeling...|
You get that sinking feeling of uh-oh... who's quitting raiding now! But it wasn't that. At the end of raid last night, Aza and Owl wanted to talk to me about our plans for raiding. I didn't know what they meant - people should just be blunt! What they were trying to ask was whether we had plans for Mythic come WoD. The reason they were asking was because they wanted my thoughts on recruiting a large number of people from one guild.
The guild they were talking about was a guild on our server, Scion. I have chatted to their GM before, he seemed like a very pleasant fellow. Owl's shadowpriest was in that guild before. One thing that I did remember about their guild was that they, like us, like to substitute people in and out during a raid to try and get everyone to raid. I'm not sure if they do it the way we do, which is for people who need gear from certain bosses, or whether they do it to maximise their DPS and buffs.
The GM of Scion, Alca, had asked Az and Owl if they thought our guild would be amenable to a merger of sorts. Naturally I was hesitant. That was an exceptionally large influx of people. I don't like large groups coming into the guild - when that happens, people don't tend to mesh and they stay in their little clump and don't feel like part of the guild. With smaller groups they can be integrated into the family (think Nath/Jazz). I don't want little factions within the guild who think they are above everyone else. I LIKE being able to chat to every person in the guild when they get online because I know who each of them are. How would I get the time to know every single new person??
So we got 3 of their officers into Vent - the GM, one of their healers and their raid leader. I was a bit nervous, wondering what I was going to say. I started with what I felt was important to me about our guild - that essentially we're a bunch of friends and nice people and we raid for fun. We don't do it to be stressed out and we I certainly don't want people swearing or abusing each other in raid or gchat or vent.
|They all seem to be telling the same story but are they the same?|
Alca was very pleasant. He started out by saying that he was tired of trying to recruit and having people keep leaving to more progressed guilds. He was looking for a raid team with good people, friendly people, who were good players. Consti took up a lot of vent with his chatter, and I was rolling my eyes at him, thinking how I was gonna put up with that endless stream. Una was quiet, and hardly said anything but made the occasional comment.
Alca told me that he liked to run a bigger roster - he likes a 50% margin to make up a raid team (so for a 10 man, they run with 15) and he was trying to push for a 25 but without much success. He had approached a number of guilds about a guild merger, including the number one guild on our server, Sample Text. He also felt that it was important that each player should be playing to the best of their abilities and take advice when they weren't doing as well as others who were similarly geared.
Then I had my turn, chatting about how we do loot - they do a more loot council sort of thing, whereas I am pretty happy with EPGP. I feel like a stubborn old goat - I spent a lot of time thinking about how to do loot fairly and I think that I don't want to go to loot council as EPGP is so fair and transparent. I also said that I expect that everyone with our guild tag is well behaved and not a troll in trade chat, abusing people left, right and cnetre.
Though the idea of good nice recruits excites me, there are so many not so goods that have me concerned.
|Bursting my |
- It's all very well for the 3 that I chatted to to say that they are friendly and easy going, but what about the others? It only takes one or two assholes to ruin it for everyone who are not like that to bring the whole group a bad rep (ie OMG all those guys from Scion are assholes!)
- What would happen if we had one person have a spat with our guild? If they leave, will they all leave? Though in reality, it wouldn't make a difference, because we would just revert to 10s.
- Will they have a snooty superior attitude because they are ahead of us in raiding?
- Who's going to lead? They probably won't listen to us because there are more of them and our people are soft spoken. In reality I would like them to raid lead because I don't like leading and trying to make HK or Sev do it is painful.
- That many new people might be intimidating. HK feels crowded and nervous about it. And I have yet to talk to Sev. I need to make sure that we don't marginalise our own raiders for these others. That shoudn't happen whilst we're trialling stuff out.
- They raid differently. We raid 2 hours, they raid 3 hours but the same nights that we do. I can't do 8pm starts. I like our 9pm short raids. I wouldn't mind going till 12 but people are too tired for that.
Our current officers are hesitant about it. I know Sev and HK - they don't like big changes and they are both comfortable with the people we have at the moment. They warm slowly to others, but a sudden rush of new people makes them uneasy. Kyxyn knows about it and we will talk later this evening - in fact, I will talk to all of them later this evening. When I discussed it with HK he expressed his concerns and finished with "Well, you're the boss, it's up to you." Which, interestingly is what Jazz said when I mentioned it to her. She said to me that whatever I did, she would be happy with it because I'm the boss. LOL. Well, if only everyone thought like that :P
All this worrying really is moot - there is nothing happening yet! We're not bringing them in yet. We don't know if we will get along. But I want to find out sooner than later, so we are going to run a 25 man raid on Monday. I will need all my raiders online so we can see what we're with, and let them raid lead and see how we go learning something new. Who knows, we may find better ways to do things. Or it may all go to shit. We'll see!
|Yes that really is an inflatable dog shit.|