PvP - Changes are coming to Crowd Control in WoD

Now this is going to be interesting for PvP!  Apparently:
One other big takeaway from Mists of Pandaria is that there is currently simply too much crowd control (CC) in the game, especially when it comes to PvP. To address that, we knew that we needed an across-the-board disarmament. 
Effective CC showed good team cooperation and communication. I wonder how if that means teamwork plays a smaller part!  I don't think so, but it will make some big changes.

Removed Silence effects from interrupts. Silence effects still exist, but are never attached to an interrupt.
I can't think of when a silence is not an interrupt.

Removed all Disarms.
Well melee will be happy.  As casters this never seemed to be a huge issue.

Reduced the number of Diminishing Returns (DR) categories.
As mage/warlock/druid we used to have a good comp because our interrupts/ccs were on different DRs. Now there will be a lot of crossover I think.

All Roots now share the same DR category.
Exception: Roots on Charge-type abilities have no DR category, but have a very short duration instead.
So I guess for my team that's Frost Nova and roots?  And shaman roots?  And that void tendril thing?

All Stuns now share the same DR category.
I wonder where Warstomp fits into that.

All Incapacitate (sometimes called "mesmerize") effects now share the same DR category and have been merged with the Horror DR category.

Removed the ability to make cast-time CC spells instant with a cooldown.
There goes the Nature's Swiftness cyclones!

Removed many CC spells entirely, and increased the cooldowns and restrictions on others.
Now wouldn't it be nice if that stupid pally fear was gone!

Pet-cast CC is more limited, and in many cases has been removed.
I guess that means treants roots, water elemental frost novas, and warlock shivarra/succubus charms.  I wonder what has been removed?  I bet it will be treants.

Cyclone can now be dispelled by immunities and Mass Dispel.
I've always thought that it was a bit unfair that ti couldn't be dispelled, bubbled or iceblocked like other CC's.  Guess I wasn't the only one.

PvP trinkets now grant immunity to reapplication of an effect from the same spell cast when they break abilities with persistent effects, like Solar Beam.
So I can use my trinket and still stand in Solar beam?  Well that makes solar beam with an Ursol's vortex rather useless!

Long fears are now shorter in PvP due to the added benefit of a fear changing the players position.
Now that's good.  Fears are always too long IMO.  And I never seem to notice Sev's fears though I am sure he uses them.  He says he does.  He will probably see this and rage at me because I'm not paying attention to his perfectly timed fears that allowed us a kill.

Does that mean people will be happy because they can brute force stuff now? I don't think it will be the end of CC, but less CC means more time to actually play (maybe!) in a match! I wonder which classes will be losing some CC?


Comments

  1. I think it's silly for them to make across the board disarmaments, especially when some classes (Rogues and to a lesser extent Hunters) pretty much rely upon CC for a significant part of their utility. Then again, I expect this to receive some corrections prior to release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure there will be lots of complaining!

      Delete
  2. I didn't notice warstomp on that list of altered and new racials. Obviously that doesn't mean anything but if they want to limit cc, removing a racial stun might be near the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I wondered about that. Wonder what I would get in return...

      Delete
  3. I still think they've taken the harder route. There was definitely too much cc in pvp, and trinkets weren't nearly as useful as they should be. I continue to believe that they should have tried something I suggested last year, which is making the trinket activation break you out of cc AND make you immune to ANY cc for another X (4? 6? 8? idk) seconds. That rewards proactive use as well as reactive, and means you can't chain cc some poor boomkin with your charge stun, spell lock, shockwave, heroic leap away into charge stun shenanigans. (I really hate arms warriors, can you tell?)

    Btw Navi, did you do something with your hair? Er, background?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Arms Warriors these days either. I used to reserve that distaste for BM Hunters and Disco Priests, but Warriors recently took over that top spot.

      Delete
    2. My hair? No? Though I did change my mog... but that's old. Yeah the immunity to stuns would be good I think (like you get in pet battles) and I think ppl would be happy with that... sorta!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I hope these comments work! Not sure why people can't comment lately, it makes me sad :(