Celestial Tournament - Triad 1: Lorewalker Cho, Ion Goldbloom and Sully "The Pickle" Mcleary

Celestial tournament is SUPPOSED to be hard, I get that.  But it really needs a big time commitment and unfortunately I can't do it at work like I do all my other pet battles.  All the other consolidated times I had, I am raiding or PvPing.

So for a week since release of 5.4, I had put it off.  I tried a few times to get started but getting my ass kicked was making me sad and also made me feel like I needed more pets to play with.  In reality, I had enough pets but you can't help that feeling of wanting that other pet that someone else used.

I saw countless posts from other bloggers having completed their Celestial Tournament.  I saw people running around with their pets.  Oh my goodness, they were taunting me!  I HAD to do it!  However, not many people were putting their pet combos on their blogs, but there were a couple, as well as plenty of forum posts.


So I forced myself to do it today, before it reset for the week.  I had already worked out my teams for the First Triad of Cho, Sully and Ion.  They weren't the BEST, but they worked!  I've put easily obtainable pets and suitable substitutes that I used (if they died or I was trying again) for those pets that were not that easy to obtain.  I've also included suggestions from other sites that might be useful (Tamer Liopleurodon has a really AWESOME guide and pet choices walk through for the Celestial tournament)

Lorewalker Cho

The team I used to beat Cho was
Nexus Whelpling: Tail Sweep, Mana Surge, Wild Magic
Spawn of Onyxia/Onyxian Whelpling: Tail Sweep, Healing Flame, Lift-Off
Kun-Lai Runt: Takedown, Frost shock, Deep Freeze

I'm pretty happy with Nexus Whelpling against Wisdom (owl, flying) as Wild Magic and Mana Surge pretty much finish that owl off.  However, Mana surge usually has one last hit in it which goes off onto Patience (broom, magic).  Patience hits like a damn truck!  I shouldn't use a dragon on it, as Patience has Broom, which hurts like crazy on dragons.  The tranquility heal is slightly annoying as well, so you need something hard hitting.  I found that my Spawn of Onyxia would die on Broom, so I should look for another substitute.  But Kun-Lai Runt to the rescue!  Using Frost Shock then a Takedown on Patience usually gets it down.  And the Runt is really good against Knowledge (dragonkin) who hits really hard.  Knowledge has amplify magic and solar beam, but Runt can take one hit and I cast Frost Shock then Deep Freeze and then takedown and that's the end of Patience.

Other combinations I've seen recommended (but I haven't tried):
Liopleurodon: Coilfang stalker/Lesser Voidcaller, Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, Anubisath Idol
Aeolyn: Nexus Whelpling, Pygmy Direhorn, Pandaren Monk
Baradax: Shimmering Wyrmling, Fel Flame, Scourged Whelping
Caniki: Mana Wyrmling, Spirit of Summer, Minfernal
Quintessence: Li'l Tarecgosa, Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, Curious Oracle Hatchling

Dr Ion Goldbloom

The Team I used to beat Ion was
Dark Whelpling: Tail Sweep, Call Darkness, Lift-Off
Son of Animus: Metal Fist, Siphon Anima, Extra Plating
Chrominius: Bite, Howl, Surge of Power

I used the Dark Whelpling because Screamer (Pterrodax hatchling, Flying) uses Lift-off as its first ability and I wanted to follow suit.  However, after one or two tail sweeps from me, Screamer uses Feign Death and out comes Trike (Direhorn runt, beast).  I hate Direhorns and their annoying Horn Atttack, interrupting me!  I used Son of Animus here because of the extra plating and the heal from Siphon Anima, which gets rid of Trike with some health to spare.  A lot of people say you can use any mechanical though, so I might end up swapping this one out (I have used Robo-Chick with success).  Chaos (OMG Luxy's Wish came true Databank, Magic) is a bit of a funny pet, it misses a lot (especially when it uses Uncertainty), giving you opportunity to have some free hits on it.  However, it has a Logic, which is strong against dragons, and also Instability which is a magic spell.  Usually my Son of Animus is still alive and can get half of its health down before I finish it off with a Howl and a Bite from Crominius.  Screamer makes a few comebacks and feign deaths in that time as well, but it's not too bad with Surge of Power as a hard hitting spell.

Other combinations I've seen recommended (but I haven't tried):
Liopleurodon: Nether Faerie Dragon/Sprite Darter, Any mechanical (Except Mechanical toad), Nether Ray/Scourged Whelpling
Aeolyn: Emerald Proto-Whelp, Son of Animus, Scourged Whelp
Baradax: Onyxian Whelping, Oily Slimeling, Tranquil Mechanical Yeti
Caniki: Mini Mindslayer, Protodrake Whelp, Any mechanical with Metal Fist
Quintessence: Emerald Whelpling, Tundra Penguin, Tranquil Mechanical yeti

Sully "The Pickle" McLeary

The Team I used to beat Sully was
Oily slimeling: Absorb, Corrosion, Acidic Goo
Amethyst Spiderling: Poison Spit, Brittle Webbing, Leech life
Amber Moth: Slicing Wind, Cocoon Strike, Moth Dust

I found Socks (Masked Tanuki, Undead) hard to beat.  I initially tried it with critters but because Socks has Claw which is a beast attack and it really smashes my poor critters.  Once I switched it to Oily slimeling, it went a lot better.  I start with Acidic Goo followed by Corrosion and then Absorb trying to get my health back up above half.  Socks will do Unholy Ascension which makes Monte (Rabbit, critter) hit a whole lot harder especially against my spider.  However, if Oily slimeling is above half health, then it's not so bad, because the first attack Monte will do is Burrow, and when I take the burrow hit, and I'm above half health, my Oily Slimeling will still be alive to get an Acidic Goo or Corrosion off on Monte.  I then switch my Amethyst spider in and Brittle Web, Poison Spit and Leech Life to get rid of the bunny.  But, Rikki (Mongoose, aquatic) will always kill me.  Rikki uses Cute face and increases his ability to dodge me and then usually attacks with Bloodfang and I go splat.  But then Amber Moth to the rescue!  Since it's so fast, I usually start with a Moth Dust (if Cute face isn't up yet - otherwise I use Cocoon Strike) and then Slicing Wind Rikki to death.  Moth dust is a great attack if it hits though!

Other combinations I've seen recommended (but I haven't tried):
Liopleurodon: Mei Li Sparkler, Cat, Cockatiel/Kaliri Hatchling/Dragonbone Hatchling
Aeolyn: Leopard Frog, Fjord Worg Pup, Nether Ray Fry
Baradax: Alpine Foxling, Emperor Crab, Bat
Caniki: Shimmershell Snail, Fluxfire Feline, Yellow Moth
Quintessence: Huge Toad, Flayer Youngling, Jade Crane Chick

Comments

  1. Congrats on the pet, I'll be choosing him next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a healing cow is a cool pet for my tauren druid :D

      Delete
  2. Yay! We both have Zao! I think next I will get Chi-Chi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going for Xu-Fu next! I'm going to get hardest ones first then the easy ones... not that it makes much difference which order I do them... LOL

      Delete
  3. I hate socks...evil undead racoon ><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is very evil! Killed so many of my pets before I used my Oily!

      Delete
  4. Gratz Navi!! I still haven't got around to having a go. I hadn't even realised they'd added a third triad... Means my workings out are a bit off too :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can still reshuffle your original teams into it, so it shouldn't be HORRIBLE.. I think!

      Delete
  5. I didn't have time to do the tournament yet, but plan on giving it a go this week. I really want one of these awesome new pets. Gratz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get prepared for a bit of frustration! The celestials are horribly hard!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I hope these comments work! Not sure why people can't comment lately, it makes me sad :(