When you know your faction will never tag Oondasta

It's all very well and exciting that there are new world bosses up, which take a massive coordinated effort of 75 people to kill it.  Add in a few extras, since you can faction tag it now (I bet there are about 10 stragglers who didn't make into a raid group) and you have a whole lot of people walloping on it.  Oh and don't forget CRZ!

However, what does one do when your faction is NEVER going to tag it?

My server, Dath'remar, is heavily alliance with an almost 2:1 Alliance:Horde ratio.  Blizzard calls it a low population realm (information taken from wow.realmpop.com) with a population of 80k characters.


Though I do like the changes with 5.2, such as faction tagging (so mobs don't get ninja'd off you and everyone can have a go at rare spawns) it is a shame that if you live on a heavily outnumbered server, you will never get to see it.

Oondasta has been up twice this week.  Both times, tagged by Alliance.  And a number of people there, probably got no loot because they had already done it this week.

But, if you look at 5.1, it was the same with Galleon.  I killed it once - the rest of the time it was tagged by Alliance.


But what is the solution to this?  I was in a raid group yesterday and the people moaned the fact that Alliance got it again.  "Faction change," was the solution once person said.  Which doesn't really solve the problem, does it?  It solves it for YOU, the individual, but not the server as a whole.

IF people wanted it to be fair (but really, why would Blizzard make it fair LOL) is that if a person joins a raid group to kill Oondasta, it would somehow be like a raid instance - where a "saved" person cannot enter.  Not sure how that works for outside bosses - I would have to think a little harder about that.  Being unable to tag Oondasta or see Oondasta would not really solve anything, because even if you couldn't see Oondasta  if you were a healer, you could still join the raid group and heal it.  Probably not so useful for DPS and Tanks though LOL!

But, I was happy just to get to see this amazing creature.  Even if my server does not have the population to get 75 raiders together to take it down (and coordinate across 3 raids) then a picture will suffice.

Grats to anyone who got loot!  I guess I'll do what I did with Galleon - wait till the next patch when it's up ALL the time and people are bored of killing it :)  So anyone else got some brilliant ideas?  And I mean useful ones, not things like yell at Blizz or transfer to a server with a heavier horde population! :)

/yell "Hey Rho, look!  Galleon is up!"

Comments

  1. I've got a foot in both camps (I have lvl 90 hunters Horde and Alliance on Dath') and I have to say that I don't know if there is a solution other than transferring to another server that is either balanced, or Horde favoured :-(

    Unfortunately all the Oceanic PvE realms are Alliance favoured, (Aman'Thul being the only one with a worse ratio than ours) and being that I expect these are the only realms that they could do "free transfers"

    Unless they offered a free transfer AND faction swap, (can't see that happening) I don't expect it will clea up any time soon.

    In PvP the situation is fairly reversed! Aside from Frostmourne, the realms are Horde favoured, or fairly balanced.

    Granted, Oceanic only has 6 PvE and 6 PvP realms to choose from... Perhaps Opening up transfers from Non-oceanic to Oceanic would be a solution? After all, they are all in the West coast datacentres, and aside from the local time being different, they are the same as any US time based server..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you guys would just play on the side of good.....

      I joke. Server imbalance isn't good for anyone... even the ones who are the dominate faction. But I don't think that you will never get Oodasta down... it might just take a long time.

      As far as heading to a US-based server, I am in the CTR guild on Aerie Peak, and there are good amount of Ausies and people who live in Asia. They raid in the morning server time.

      Delete
    2. I am trying to think of a solution that does not require changing faction or transferring servers. I actually don't mind not killing it because I raid but all those other guys who don't... seems a bit of a shame! And thouugh having a 90 alt would solve my personal issues with it, it's not really a solution to the general problem.

      And Sal I would miss org and thunderbluff playing alliance! All those cities! Though Darnassus is nice I admit...

      Delete
  2. Whenever someone posts a realid comment about Oondasta, I quickly check to see if you are on and if it's on an Oceanic realm so you can get the achievement! They made a change so cross realm won't get loot or bonus roll if the boss isn't on their own server but they can still get the achievement I believe.

    I definitely thought I would get loot for killing him the second time, good to know for the future. Hopefully more Alliance will realise this and let Hordies have a chance!

    As for brilliant ideas, I can fly a baby Navi ally out there so you can log in when Oondasta is up and get the achievement, though that doesn't really solve the problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My baby would die! I think she only has 5k health... but thank you for the good thoughts. I knew you would be thinking of someway to help :)

      Delete
  3. Why not make it a shared tag so both horde & alliance get equal shot at loot. Or if one side tags it they get loot & bonus roll if they have a coin but if the other side hits it to to help out they get only bonus roll at loot if they have a coin. Then no one misses out.

    Souglyy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shall I rehash my posts on WG or TB on skewed pop realms?? Lol. This isn't a new problem, Navi! Any content that requires faction bias has this issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sorta address thoses by limiting the number who can get in! However it isn't the skewed pop which bothers me so much... I just want people locked out of it if they have done it already as that may fix some of the problems for getting peole to do it.

      Delete
  5. My realm's pie chart is almost identical to yours (http://wow.realmpop.com/eu-saurfang.html!) and we're in a similar situation. My guildies have been making use of OpenRaid to get their achievements, but I believe you no longer get loot for that, and it's a shoddy state of things anyway when you have to go cross-realm to get something. I agree with Souglyy's solution really; the faction tag makes plenty of sense for Sha and Galleon, but with a boss that requires so many people it seems a tad rubbish not to reward them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twin servers! I also think Soug had a good idea. Imagine alli and horde cooperation!

      Delete
  6. Indeed server imbalance does make it difficult for the other side to get a shot at world bosses, but unfort that is the way they are designed. The whole idea of open world bosses like these, make me wonder why they put them in the 1st place, the whole idea of them are old ideas (EQ, FFXI) why place them in? They only seem to cause issues like this popping up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only some realms will have problems. So I guess those world bosses cater for the majority. ..

      Delete
  7. I can count how many times Horde got it, whatever "it" is, first. Darkmoon rabbit? Fuggadabouit : Horde every time ! The only way to make it fair is if Blizz puts constraints on it, and every time they do that they seem to break something else. All I can say is I feel your pain, Navi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish we could body swap or toons for one day! That would give us a day to do all that stuff!

      Delete
  8. Where did my comment go, am I loosing my mind lol. I'm sure I commented this morning that I would just be happy to see him. Maybe I did it on the wrong post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing your luck you would get a kill and some loot to boot!

      Delete
  9. It was one of the few reasons my guild and I decided on a Realm transfer recently, ( Yes my hunter is no longer on Dath But back on Shandris, US My alts however are still on dath.) I have been lucky to do a few more world boss kills than I was able to on dath However With that said it doesn't solve it for everyone it takes 25 dollars a transfer, 35 Currently for guild transfer and each member has to pay for their own Transfer which is crazy also.. And faction changing also costs a arm and leg not everyone has that sort of money. I was talking to a few americans on my server now and they where suprised Wow Costs me near 28 dollars to play They forget money conversion is a costly thing or believe we all share the same 'cost'

    If ya wish to have my battlenet so you can still keep in touch Let me know I'll be happy to share with ya on game with maybe my Pookiewookie alt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look for you nightvyxen. Hope you have Grand adventures on your new server!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I hope these comments work! Not sure why people can't comment lately, it makes me sad :(