What if Australia Day was an Azerothian Holiday?

Today is Australia Day, a public holiday down here in Australia (funny that!), celebrated on the day that Captain Arthur Phillip, commander of the First Fleet of eleven convict ships from Great Britain, and the first Governor of New South Wales, arrived at Sydney Cove on 26 January and raised the Union Jack to signal the beginning of the colony.

The Founding of Australia - Algernon Talmage
On this day, people are naturalized (getting their Citizenship), Australians of the Year are awarded to those who have performed great services to the Community, and many community social events are organised like concerts, family events and fireworks.

Fireworks in Perth 2005 Australia Day - image courtesy Nachoman
Big Day Out is a huge outdoor concert held in multiple locations around the Australia Day week.  It's usually packed to the rafters with good weather, and you'll find lots of young people there - controversy with drug usage and alcohol has prompted a large police presence at these events, but it doesn't seem to dampen the Aussie spirit.  In Sydney, it's held on Australia Day.



Then there's always the cricket on Australia Day at the Adelaide oval (Australia Day One Day International).   Which reminds me of that Telstra broadband advertisement about Australia Day and the cricket:


And what would Australia day be without an Australia Day BBQ?

Australia Day BBQ image courtesy offthespork.com

So how could that translate that as a holiday or a celebration in Azeroth?


I wonder whose landing on the shores of Azeroth we could celebrate.  Since everyone was already here when the continent was broken... maybe Pandarians could cleebrate when they first landed in Azeroth (and then hated it so much they ran back to their island)... or they could have gotten STRANDED!  Or maybe the first footsteps of the humanoid explorers of Azeroth...


Imagine if they had BBQs everywhere!  Maybe you have to eat at all the alliance and horde BBQs for an achievement or quest to promote peace and coexistence.

Maybe we could go on a pilgrimage trail of the first explorers of Azeroth, planting our flag at points of historical interest.


Evening fireworks could be organised in major cities at night time.

And how cool would it be if you could make a cricket battleground LMAO!  I think that would be hilarious.


And what World Event would be complete without a big monster of some sort to defeat?  Maybe a giant rainbow serpent from the Dreamtime that threatens to swallow this new country....



Well to finish off this Australia Day post, I'm going to add some Azeroth to an excerpt from a very famous Australian poem written by Dorothea McKellar "My Country".

I love a sunburnt country

 A land of sweeping plains,

Of ragged mountain ranges,

 Of droughts and flooding rains.

I love her far horizons,

I love her jewel-sea,

 Her beauty and her terror

The wide brown land for me!

Note: There is a lot of controversy about Australia day and the indigenous Australians, about whether that day was the day they were subjugated etc, making it more a tragic day in their history.  I respect that Australia was originally their home, but I think Australia Day should be a day where all Australians can celebrate being Australian and being unified and our achievements as individuals as part of this great country.

Comments

  1. Cricket Battleground sounds sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Faithless - I know right! I think it would be really interesting LOL

      Delete
  2. I hope you're having a great Australia Day, Navi :) Perhaps we could have an in-game event to celebrate the "discovery" of Pandaria? Although that would mean either the expansion wouldn't be out until next Jan, or it woudn't be on Jan 26th :P I do like the sound of BBQs all over though! Lovely screenies as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Angelya - TY Ang, I had a nice WET day :P but lots of eating as you usually do every Australia day.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant post! Guess I'll just have to go to Australia to experience it, cause I am not going to count on Blizz to do anything that cool for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Matty - TY Matty, I know Blizz won't do that but it was a fun thought :) Glad you liked the post :)

      Delete
  4. Nice Post there Navi and Yes I agree, barbies would have to be in there somewhere for some type of Azerothian representation. Good choice of pics for the poem though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Cymre - TY Cym :) I love the party all over Azeroth idea :)

      Delete
  5. The poem with the screenies is fantastic! Nice work :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ara - TY :) You know what a sucker I am for poetry and screenies :)

      Delete
  6. Happy Australia Day Navi! I'm with Matty, I would love to see the celebrations in person AND in Azeroth because there can never be enough barbeques!

    TotA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ancient - TY! And if ever does happen I'd make a toon on your server and have a BBQ with you.

      Delete
  7. Let's hope this blog post is also featured on WOW insider Navi, and it gives Blizz an idea on what those who use the Oceanic servers would like. They should just make a one day event like the pirate day thing, where we have a cricket BG and BBQ's to visit all around Azeroth.

    Ayelena

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ayelena - TY Ayel, I don't think I'd be that lucky again, but I did so enjoy writing this post :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I hope these comments work! Not sure why people can't comment lately, it makes me sad :(